Monday, August 23, 2010

Center Point students confused by “fencing” class

Aug 24, 2010 - Back-to-school for Center Point high school students did not go as smoothly as adminstrators had hoped due to a misunderstanding in the titles of courses.

This fall for the first time,  high school students had an opportunity to sign up for a new intramural sport - fencing.

At first, administrators thought they had hit a home run. “We looked out on registration day and there was a line around the gym of students waiting to enroll in the new P.E. fencing class,” said an athletic department spokesman. “We were surprised and gratified to discover there was so much apparent interest in this ancient sport.”

The line quickly dissipated when students learned the new class had nothing to do with building fence.

“I signed up for fencing because my pa wanted me to learn a trade,” said sophomore Billy Bob Baggins. “I didn’t know it was all about fighting with rebar.”

Another student said goodbye to plans for a summer job repairing fences for area ranchers. “Barbed wire is the only sharp thing I want to work with. Heck, if I get in a fight, I’ll use my 12-gauge.”

As administrators explained the misconception to students, many walked away in disgust.

“Shoot,” said one senior boy. “I thought finally the school was going to teach a class that had practical use. But come to find out it’s just a bunch of girls in tights jumping around and poking little sticks at each other.” The student paused, then turned back to the registration table. “Well, maybe I’ll give it one semester.”

No comments:

Post a Comment